desire jet black hair. Brandnew to henna, indigo. Need advice

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
suzi13
desire jet black hair. Brandnew to henna, indigo. Need advice

HI. So happy to find this forum. 

My background: natural dirty blonde/light brown thin, bra-strap length hair that I've been chemically dying black for about 15+ years.  I have stopped cold-turkey after developing a severe allergic reaction to PPD.  After having not dyed my hair in about 3 months, I puschased the premixed "black" henna from Mountain Rose Herbs which contains only pure henna and indigo.  I used it and was happy with it although I understand tha I probably will achieve better coverage wit a two step process.  I was hoping someone could outline EXACTLY what I should do. 

I also have a few questions:

1.  when mixing the henna, what temperature should the water be?

2. when mixing the indigo, what temperature should the water be?

3. After rinsing the henna, do I need to wait until my hair is dry to apply the indigo or can it be damp?

4.  Can I use AVC in place of lemon in the henna?

5.  If I wanted to include amla in the formula, to what do I add it and how much do I add?

6.  Do i rinse the henna out using only water, or shampoo, or conditioner?

7.  Same question for indigo.

8.  I've read that indigo is hard to apply and that adding something like MSM powder helps with this.  True? Any other suggestions to help with the application process?

Thank you in advance for any help you may provide!

rchou
admin
Hello,

Hello,

You do not need to mix any water in your henna unless you are using an acidic powder or diluting an acid. You can use apple cider vinegar, though some find it a little drying. If you use amla, however, you wouldn't need another acid and would just use distilled water. any temperature is fine, as long as it is not very hot/boiling. Warmth helps the dye release better.

For the indigo, use cool to room temperature distilled water.

You can rise both out with shampoo and conditioner like normal. I find it easier to soak my head in a tub of water and squish it around until most of the paste comes out, then washing with shampoo and conditioner.

I would recommend mostly dry to dry hair. Indigo can be more gritty, so CMC powder can smooth it out. Adding a teaspoon of table salt into your indigo mix can also help the dye bind better.

Rebecca

suzi13
Thank you for responding.

Thank you for responding. Just to clarify-are you saying I don't need to use water to mix my henna if I'm using something acidic?  Confused about that. I thought I always used water then,added something acidic.  If you don't mind, could you clarify?  

rchou
admin
acidic liquids
Hello, You can mix henna with lemon juice, apple juice, cranberry juice, orange juice, or a few other things. The henna powder needs a low ph to dye release. If you have amla or another acidic powder, that is sufficient for the acid and you would just use distilled water. Rebecca
suzi13
i totally understand now,

i totally understand now, thanks for clarifying! 

Have a great day.