Transition from Deep Henna Red to Natural (Mousey Blonde) Hair

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Samantha
Transition from Deep Henna Red to Natural (Mousey Blonde) Hair

Hello! 

A little background info: I've been dyeing my hair with henna for a little over 2 and 1/2 years, and as much as I've loved being a redhead, I'm ready to go back to my natural blonde. As I'm a natural mousey/dirty blonde (see first photo), I've already ruled out a straight grow out/fade out (often suggested around the forum; slowly raise cassia ratio when dyeing roots until you're just using cassia). The blonde/red color combination is not pleasant at all on me. Then I considered doing the same with a brown instead -  by using a hendigo mix on my current color (see second photo), and then using the same fading process, just with the hendigo rather than pure henna. If I could get the mix cool/ashy enough, maybe by mixing in alma?, I think the growout could look okay. (especially since I plan on cutting it back to a pixie after it's completely "faded in" and I don't have to color anymore - except for cassia, which I plan on doing on my blonde indefinitely!)

Then, as I searched deeper in the forum archives, I found the vit C lightening method... and became curious as to if it could be used along with my hendigo-fading plan - to basically lessen the contrast between the brown and blonde. So, my questions are:

-if I use the vit C to lighten, would it be better to do it before or after applying the hendigo? would doing it before not make any difference to the strength of the outcome of the hendigo? would doing it after be ineffective and merely take me back to the red, or would it keep and just lighten the brown tone (this is what I'm shooting for)?

-will the hendigo on my roots come out a different color than on my already hennaed hair?

-should I stop asking questions and just do a few strand tests?

AttachmentSize
Image icon natural hair color.png110.97 KB
Image icon current color.jpg189 KB
rchou
admin
Transitioning

Hello,

You can do a mix of 4 parts cassia, 1 part henna, and 1 part indigo to make kind of a diluted hendigo, which would result in a lighter brown.

As far as vitamin c treatments, if you want to take away some of the red, I would suggest doing it beforehand.

As far as your last question, there will be a difference between root color and what you've previously hennaed, though it may fade together.

Have a nice day!

Rebecca

Samantha

I'll definitely try that! Just ordered some indigo, amla, and cassia samples, so I'll do some strand tests before committing to my whole head.

Good point. Thank you so much for your input!

VenusEnvy
Hi Rebecca - would you put

Hi Rebecca - would you put the cassia in with the henna for its overnight soak? Or do you add it after?

VenusEnvy
Nevermind - I realized I

Nevermind - I realized I already asked this question a few weeks ago and someone let me know that you do let the henna and cassia sit together. :) Had just forgotten.