Amla making henna brighter/coppery?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
emerald888
Amla making henna brighter/coppery?

I feel I posted too many topics the first time, so I'm revamping!

Hi everyone!

I've been running test samples on my hair wads to get my perfect hendigo shade, but I can't seem to get consistent results.  I'm also getting counterintuitive results with the use of amla.

If I am understanding the E-Book correctly, amla should dilute the red tones in the henna; initially the stain will appear much brighter and more coppery, then it should have a more drastic oxidation and become much darker and more ash-toned.  Firstly, is that even accurate?

I'm starting with light to medium brown hair with a mottling of grey (and a grey streak in front).  I've mixed 7 different samples using all the same 3 ingredients.

I've done 25% henna to 75% indigo (as well as 2/3 to 1/3) with and without amla.  These first were 1/8 the amount of amla to henna.  I hope that makes sense.. I.e., I used 1 teaspoon henna and 1/8 teaspoon amla.

These were much too red, but it was a deep red color.  So I did the same ratio mixes again using 1/4 amla instead of 1/8 ... (1/4 teaspoon amla to 1 teaspoon henna)

The mixes with a higher percentage of amla turned WAY BRIGHTER and more coppery than those with no amla or only 1/8 amla.  I'm talking natural flaming ginger!  These samples are over 2 weeks old now, so I assume they are done oxidizing?

Why would more amla make the red lighter/brighter instead of more ashen?

*All samples used the same batch of henna, indigo, and amla.  The henna was mixed 12 hours prior to application for dye release.  The samples that did NOT use amla were mixed with a bit of lime juice in the filtered water (in the henna only).  Samples were left to sit on the counter for 12 hours before I washed out the mud.  I did two additional samples that included amla and put these on a warm heater for the 12 hour duration - these samples also turned out significantly brighter and more coppery than those with no amla.

Very confused and wondering if I've misinterpreted the research I've done on using amla.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

m_moore
admin
1) Yes. Amla will help hinder

1) Yes. Amla will help hinder red tones when used in a henna/indigo mix.

2) They should be done oxidizing, but you can always run a blow dryer over them to make sure. This will darken them a little bit.

3) The ratios are all based on weight rather than actual measuring tools.  1/4 teaspoon amla is a little bit too much, but it shouldn't' affect the mix drastically.  This would just cause a little longer oxidation time...but 2 weeks should still be okay.

Did you shampoo the samples before you did them? If you use product or if you have an oily scalp, wash them with a clarifying shampoo.  This should help get better results.

emerald888
Thanks Mmoore

... Just to make sure I'm not missing something here...

When you say amla will "hinder red tones," are we differentiating between red and orange?  Should we be?

I'm wondering if I just wasn't understanding because I wasn't differentiating.  Would the lack of amla make the result more red (like cherry) and the addition of amla tones down the red and makes the result more orange?  My initial understanding was the amla cools down the color and makes it more ashen, but my experience has so far been that it makes the result brighter and more orange/copper than red.  O_o

I did wash the samples with a clarifying tea tree shampoo just prior to adding my pastes.  I washed, rinsed thoroughly, and patted them dry, so they were slightly damp when I applied the paste.

So it's been longer now, the samples with amla are STILL very bright and coppery, they don't seem to be changing anymore.  Unfotunately, I don't actually own a blow dryer, so that test is out.  I have set the samples on my heater once or twice and also set them in the sun on my window sil.

The other night I tried another experiment with a henna gloss.  I used 2 tsp henna, 1/2 teaspoon amla, and about 1 1/4 Tablespoons of conditioner.  Henna was dye released with amla prior to adding to conditioner.  I left this sample wrapped in plastic wrap, in a ceramic cup, sitting on top of the radiant heater in my bathroom for 3 hours.

I washed with out last night and WHOA.  This wad came out absolutely flaming, copper carrot!  This stuff practically glows.  I'll give it a week or so to see how it changes.  Tonight I'm going to get some henna going for another sample tomorrow.  I'll use the same ratio of henna and conditioner, but I won't add any amla.  We'll see how that one goes?  :-)

Thanks again