What can I use instead of Indigo

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
browny
What can I use instead of Indigo

Hi

I have just joined the forum and I am so glad I found it.

I have mid to dark brown hair with approx 15% grey which at the age of 61 I suppose is not too bad but I have got to the point of wanting to disguise the grey.

I really do not want to use the convential hair dyes with all the chemicals so I am looking at henna.

The problem is I do not want to use indigo as years ago when wearing a new pair of jeans my legs came out in a bad rash. I understand that they use a synthetic indigo in clothing but it has made me nervouse about trying indigo on my hair.

I have read Katam is a milder form of indigo but at present is hard to buy so does anyone have any recommendations of what I can use to blend in my greys.

As I use to have some natural auburn highlights when younger I do not mind if the greys appear brown/auburn.

At present my hair is very dry as I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism five years ago and since then it become a lot drier than it use to be.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks browny.

rchou
admin
Indigo

Hello,

I would recommend ordering a sample of indigo (just $1.50 and free shipping) and doing a patch test by mixing the powder with water into a paste, applying a small spot to your inner arm, and leaving it there for an hour or so. You'd get a reaction in that area within 24 hours if you were allergic. It's very likely that your allergic reaction to the jeans had nothing to do with indigo dye, so I'd hate to see you avoid an effective product that would get you the color you are looking for.

If you have any additional questions feel free to ask!