Newbie help! Time interval between henna and indigo

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
MistyD
Newbie help! Time interval between henna and indigo

Help I'm a newbie! 

I haven't dyed my hair for over 4 years and it's completely natural now. It's medium mousey brown with grey throughout it. I have a thick white/silvery chunk at the front through my fringe and down the side.

I've decided to henna my hair and would like to achieve red hair. However, until I try it, I don't know how orange my grey hair will go. I'm not so worried about the grey hairs throughout, more the chunk at the front. I was thinking of buying some indigo to apply if needed. I am curious how long I can leave between using henna and applying indigo?? I was thinking of leaving my hair a few days to see how it settles and deepens before applying indigo. Is that ok? I've seen that people mix henna and indigo but I don't want to do that since I want to achieve red. Whenever I've read about applying indigo after henna, it seems to imply you do it that same day but it's not clear. 

Also, any tips on getting it as red as pos?

Thanks in advance. 

rchou
admin
Indigo

Hello,

Applying indigo after henna is only done to achieve jet black results, and you should do this no more than 48 hours after rinsing out the henna. If you don't want brunette or black, I would recommend doing an additional application of henna, which will deepen the color without browning it. Henna gets deeper and richer with more applications and longer applications. I'd recommend going with the Rajasthani Monsoon henna for the most rosy/cherry tone, and mixing it with Nightfall Rose powder, which will cool some of the brassy tones.

MistyD
Many Thanks. I'll avoid

Many Thanks. I'll avoid indigo then. So would I just apply the second henna application to that section of hair? How many days would I leave before doing it again? I understand that the colour will change after a few days. 

I've already bought some henna from a UK provider and have an appointment booked to have it applied so won't be able to order in time for monsoon or rose powder to arrive since it takes 2-3 weeks. :(

Not sure what to do now. If I apply the henna I have will it affect future applications? So if I bought what you suggest for future applications, doing roots will it blend in ok?

I'm also a bit confused, if I have to do more applications on my grey streak to darken/redden any orange, will I have to do that every time my roots come through? So I'll henna my hair, then apply more henna to that section of roots? 

Am I right to think that I don't want to keep applying henna to the length of my hair, otherwise it'll build up and darken? 

I'm hoping to make my hair a nice rich red colour, not too dark. The UK provider says henna is henna pretty much but your site seems to indicate that they vary. I just bought a BAQ henna. 

Can I use any rose powder for the affect you are saying, or is specifically the nightfall? Also would you recommend cranberry juice or not? I've read about preventing oxidation to make it redder.

sorry lots of questions. This is the first time in about 25 years that my hair is completely natural with no dye at all so I want to get this right!

many thanks

rchou
admin
Henna

Hello,

Hennas differ in their dye content and purity, so I can't speak to all hennas, but you can use our brand over previously treated hair with no problem. Hennas can have slightly different shades, depending on the batch. the Rajasthani Monsoon henna is our more rosy/cherry toned henna. Depending on what you are using right now, it may or may not blend well. there may be a slight difference in tone.

Nightfall rose powder is a specific product that we have that is a powdered fruit acid, so you'll want to get that straight from us. Cranberry juice can be good for preventing oxidation, and you are welcome to use that instead. The benefit of Nightfall Rose powder is that it contains anthocyanins which will cool out the brighter orangey tones.

Generally speaking, you want to apply only to the roots to avoid darkening the length of your hair over time. With lighter or more stubborn hair, you may be able to get it covered with one long application, or you may need to do it twice.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask!