Need a refresher, Please.

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
pajammies
Need a refresher, Please.

Hi there, I have done Henna before but it's been a few years, for some reason a few things aren't coming to me, so I have a few questions.

My plan is to do a test on some brush hairs, however, I can't remember at all how much indigo I used last time. I'm looking for auburn, which is what I am naturally, but I'm much more gray than last time.  I also can't remember which henna I used last time, so I relaize I might need to do a few tests.

I have in my home the Rajasthani Twilight which says it will be auburn, and I don't think I used that last time, but for a starting point, should I try indigo with this or not, and how much is recommended? So in other words, is this pretty dark or is it brighter red? I have a lot of gray near my crown, but not in the back.

Second question, I will be going to my stylist for her to apply this. I will make the mix, let dye release and then freeze. When do I add the indigo if I decide to use it? And how do I mix the indigo...can I use apple juice like I will with the henna? 

For some reason I also can't remember, do you add a small amount of apple juice to get dye release and then add more when ready to apply the henna? And what about when freezing? Do you make it so that it's ready to go when thawed or do you just bring it to dye release, freeze and then add morejuice for the proper consistancy after it's thawed?

Lastly, the Rajasthani I have at home is a few years old, definatley not more than 4, can I still use it? It is still in it's original foil packaging that Mehandi/Tapdancing Lizzard sends it in.

Thank you so much, Pamela

enissel
admin
Auburn

Hello,

The twilight you have is fine to use. I would try a test with the Rajasthani twilight by itself, on hair harvested from your hair brush.  If the color is too light, then I would add Indigo to the mix. To deepen the Auburn color it is 3/4 henna to 1/4 indigo. You can use apple juice as the fruit acid to mix the henna. I would let the henna dye release for 6-8 hours and then freeze it, so it is ready to go when you defrost it. No need to add extra juice when it thaws. Indigo gets mixed with distilled water. The indigo should be mixed just before you plan to use it.

Just to refresh your memory I would read chapter 7 in our henna for hair e-book. http://www.tapdancinglizard.com/AS_henna_for_hair/Chapter_7_Mixing_and_T...

If you have any other questions about ratios or just general questions about our products. You can call us at 1-855-634-2634, email helpdesk@mehandi.com or post questions on here.

pajammies
Thank you!

Thank you!