trying to create light brown; help with buxux pls!!!! and results of zizyphus mixed w/ henna!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
brelj
trying to create light brown; help with buxux pls!!!! and results of zizyphus mixed w/ henna!

Hello,

I did a lot of research but still have a few questions....

My mother has ash dark blond hair, with greys. The hair reacts very to the sun, and she get's yellow hair on top, which doesn't suit her.

We want to create a light brown color.

Can I use buxus in the 2 step method? Or do you all prefer the 1 step method?

Can I mix the henna, instead of cassia, with Zizyphus Spina Christi, so the henna will not go too dark?

If anyone has anymore advise.........

I am looking forward to your input!!!!

I did a few strands, first henna (dye released) with zizyphus and then the second step with only buxus.....  I mixed it with destilled water. I used it right away and let it on for 40 minutes, but I had the feeling that te buxus didn't really "dye". Anyone advise?

Carrie:

The result of mixing henna w/ zizyphus was lighter than henna w/cassia (also 50/50). I used 50/50 dye released henna and zizy w/water in volume, it turned out (on dark blond hair) a pretty light strawberry blond color. My mix henna with cassia was darker. When applying buxus on both strands, the strand w/cassia 20 minutes and turned out a light brown with a redish tone (after oxidizing). The strand w/zizy after 40 minutes turned out a tone lighter and with a more coppery glow (it isn't oxidized yet)

Bye Julia

Carrie
Re: trying to create light brown

This is what a 2-step (15 minutes of buxus as the 2nd step) looks like on blonde/gray hair:

http://www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=view&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS[]=11181

Of course, a 1-step would be easier but it seems to be more of a challenge to overcome the red tones of henna that way. Here are some experiments I did on white mohair looking for a quicker way to get light brown tones on gray: 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39335752@N04/3713939746/in/set-72157619485710101/

And here is an old thread about using henna and indigo in a gloss for golden brown:

http://www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=view&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS[]=3530

Carrie

I don't know if anyone here has tried using zizy instead of cassia for lighter colors. I don't know why it wouldn't work, though. If you try, please let us know what happens. Zizy is very slimy/mucilaginous, and might not go on as evenly.

brelj

Thank you so much Carrie for your advise.  The color of megumi was really nice!!!!

We will try the Zizyphus, I will let you know if it works.

I am going strand testing ;)

Carrie

Hi Julia,

I didn't see until now that  you had added to your post. I guess when someone edits their post, it doesn't show up as a new post.

That's interesting about the zizyphus. Possibly its pH is different. It seems like something is inhibiting dye uptake with both henna and buxus (I know you only mixed zizy with the henna step, but then it's "in" the hair and might have affected the uptake of buxus).

Unless you want to do more experimenting it seems like the cassia/henna followed by buxus is getting you pretty close, yes?

brelj

Hi Carrie,

I think your right about the uptake of henna and especially buxus. The result were almost 2 shades lighter then the 25/75 henna/cassia mix.

The buxus had to sit 40 minutes, 20 min more than with the cassia/henna mix, to get the 'same' result. I didn't shampoo after the henna/ zizzy mix so I think the buxus reacted on the layer of zizy in the hair.

It was a fun experiment and my mother liked the result so now we only have to decide ;)

Thanks for all your advise!!!!

Julia