Best way to keep henna from drying out on my head?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jackie
Best way to keep henna from drying out on my head?

hi,

What is the Best way to keep henna from drying out on my head?   I do wrap it in multiple layers of plastic, but it still drys out.

Any suggestions?

-jackie

ACWN
Re: Best way to keep henna from drying out on my head?

If you're wrapping it, it shouldnt dry out. The one way it dries out is if its exposed to air.

Try a throw away shower cap. Pull it on (down over your ears, it will be a little uncomfortable) and press it firmly to the paste all around. You can also try a grocery bag if your hair is rather long. Then pull a beanie or a terry cloth wrap over that to keep it warm.

Carrie

Agreeing with ACWN that it's important to press the plastic down onto the paste, so you keep air off the paste. You can also wrap your head with a strip of cloth around the edge of the plastic (like you put a cotton roll around the edge when using chemical dyes or perm solution) to catch drips and help keep air from getting to the edges.

Are you leaving your paste on a really long time? My paste doesn't dry out while it's on my head, so I'm wondering how long you're wearing it?  Unless you want to leave it on overnight for convenience's sake, a 4-hour application is the longest most people do.

You may want to look at how thick you are mixing your paste (stirred-up yogurt is the guideline) and are you applying to damp hair? Putting a concrete-thick paste on dry hair might lend itself to drying out more, for example, and that makes it harder to rinse out.

Jackie

yeah you are right, I usually do the overnight thing. As I move around, it loosens the plastic & air gets in.

I do mix it pretty thick - more like greek yogurt, that yoplait. & apply to damp hair.  I'm goign to work on wrapping it better - and not sleeping in it.

Thanks!  Jackie