Weird hair question--non-henna

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
kcr
Weird hair question--non-henna

I really do not think this is related to henna *at all* but don't know where else to ask.

What could change hair texture?  I mean, like from pin-straight to what appears to be the remnants of a bad perm?

I have always has a small spot on the back of my head that was a different texture/color than the rest of my head, sort of like a birth mark (my younger brother has it too, if it hasn't been eaten by his bald spot.)  But now it is my whole head, except for the first two inches, which makes me think  it is not some permanent change, rather some sort of reaction.

Possible causes going back two inches of growth:  cataract surgery with *very* brief anesthesia & lots of different eye drops for a few weeks; raging hormonal imbalance from menopause; or--and this is a long shot, but a few months ago I bought some "curlformer" curlers and used them a few times.  (I thought maybe they stretched the hair or something, but I think that might be a long shot.)

Has anyone had anything similar happen, and what did you do to help it?

I was wondering, too if zisyphus (how do you spell that?) or amla or something might help withoput changing the color of my hair.

Carrie
Re: Weird hair question--non-henna

My mom's hair texture changed from straight and fine to wavy/coarse after a high fever. Head injuries, anesthesia and severe stress can cause shedding; chemo can change the texture. Perhaps there are other causes for texture changes too? Sorry I don't have anything more specific for you, just anecdotes.

xyz

Eye drops for glaucoma and cataracts have been linked to hair changes:  that's the principle, for example, behind those new lotions that promise to make eyelashes grow.  They not only make new lashes appear, but the "old" lashes seem to become darker and curlier.  Now, if you observe the ads for the treatment that actors Brooke Shields and Claire Danes are promoting, it mentions things like "hair growth can occur in other skin areas that [this product] touches frequently".  Other eye drops have been linked to darkening and hair growth on upper lip, sideburns, nuckles, and chest.  So, depending on the type of drops you were using, and the length of your treatment, there's a small chance they could have precipitated the changes you see on your hair. 

However, I would suspect hormonal changes as the most likely culprit in your case.  Most people experience hair loss and texture changes during menopause, or under circumstances that mimic those sudden changes (chemo, hysterectomies, steroid use, intensive and sustained physical activity...).  Women who train for the Olympics, for example, see many skin, hair, and menstrual changes as they spike up their routines, while pregnant women often observe their hair starts behaving differently--thicker, wavier, softer, straighter, oilier, etc. as they enter their second trimester. 

Other than developing a new hair-care routine, I don't know what to suggest to help...sorry! 

kcr

I got some kind of shampoo for damaged hair--I don't know that it is actually damages, but it looks and feels so different that I just *feel* like it is. 

Since the top two inches are "normal" I am going to assume that whatever caused the change is gone and keep praying the new growth is like my "old" hair.

I wouldn't mind one bit if it were curly, or wavy or something other than the sad. droopy look of last season's home perm ;P  Just sort of frizzy and unruly.

Thanks, both of you!

Ophelia

Have you had your thyroid checked out? Because this is exactly what happened to my hair before I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. Of course, as the others have said, hormones are usually the culprit, and in my case it was the thyroid hormone.

My hair went a lot straighter after being on the thyroid medication for a while.

kcr

I've always suspected my thyroid was underactive, because my normal body temperature is only ~96*. Sometimes it gets down closer to 95, but by then I am visibly shivering.

But it has always been that way--would it change my hair after lo, these many years?  Of course, now that all the *other* hormones are going whack, maybe it does have something to do with it.

Ophelia

Kcr, I really don't know. The thyroid is such a wierd thing. It gave me so many random symptoms, all of which could have been attributed to something else (for instance, I had PCOS already, so anything that seemed "hormonal" I was blaming on that)

If you've looked up the symptoms of thyroid issues, you'l know how diverse they are. The reason I went to my doc and got diagnosed, was that I had so much hair loss (this was about 10 months after my hair first starting changing texture, I'd been losing hair for about 4 months at that point) I'd had hair loss before, after an operation, and I didn't go to the docs at once this time, as the previous time they hadn't said anything except "It will grow back" Which it did.

I wasn't too worried about suddenly having wavy hair, but then it started to feel like candy floss, really dry and just generally horrible. Then it started coming out in handfuls. It's always seemed strange to me that not only the hair near the roots was affected, but all the lengths too (which had previously been almost straight) My hair was about bra strap length at the time.

kcr

Well, problem solved:  I had all my hair cut off like Mariska Hargitay's (minus the Jayne Mansfield genes ;P)

I asked the stylist what she thought, and she said it was probably the combination of hormones and the medication/anesthesia from surgery, because she said just the hormones were making my hair a lot wavier than it had been before.

She was sort of shocked when she saw it.  I hadn't been there for a couple of months and today it was worse than usual, because I just washed it ans went in and hadn't put anything on it to try to make it happy.

What is left on my head is fine, though =)

Now, just hoping my husband likes it.  When I told him I was planning to cut it off and start over, he offered to put extensions back in my hair :D.  I told him we might do that, too, but the dead stuff had to go, regardless.

Ophelia

Good solution - I love Mariska too! I hope it continues to grow out straighter. As the hair near the crown is growing as it used to, it sounds like whatever problem that happened with your hair is resolved!

anneparker
billig hår extensions

Hey, I was going to ask something about the cold fusion hair extensions , Who is the best in this field and what are the criteria for their work. I am asking these question because I want to know the person better who is handling my hair.

[edited to remove commercial link  - admin]