Henna from the Middle Eastern Store-just for practice---any reason to fear anything unsafe?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
BarbieRain
Henna from the Middle Eastern Store-just for practice---any reason to fear anything unsafe?

Hello, I have a quick question--I am still pretty darn new to henna since I haven't had much chance to practice---which brings me to my question:

There is a Middle Eastern delicious store somewhat local--and they sell henna for the hair.  It doesn't really have much of an ingredient label, but the owner says she uses it on her hair all the time and both she and her husband say it is just ground up henna, that's it, plant material, nothing else. 

The thing I find peculiar, is that it comes in brown, red, neutral, and black.  They said it would be ok to use on the skin--I think they said use brown or red....they might even have said use brown or  black-but they said in all the colors, it's all natural plant material...

In general, should I be concerned about this kind of thing?  I'm sure for a henna connoisseur, the quality might be considered sub par...but I just want to practice on myself, and some friends at this point---is there any reason to believe this would not be ok?

Thank you Smile emoticon
xyz
Re: Henna from the Middle Eastern Store-just for ...

If it comes in colors it's not pure henna.  It might have henna, but with who-knows-what added to make it stain a shade other than brownish-orange.  I personally wouldn't use it, not even to practice, because there's no way of knowing what the extra ingredients are.  They might be harmless, but then again they might be very dangerous.  Better safe than sorry!

The only way I'd use something like that is to draw designs on things other than skin.  How about painting with it on fabric, leather, wood, candles and other such materials?  If it's cheap enough...it could be a fun way to practice without exposing anyone to potential hazardous ingredients. 

Maggie

As it's "for hair" and from the Middle East it's very possible that it's henna mixed with indigo but there's really no way of telling. Even if it is just indigo mixed it I still wouldn't try it. Sorry to ruin your good idea :(

Nene
I agree. Not safe for skin... U can use it to learn to mix a consistency you like and practice on paper... Don't risk yourself and others just for cheep practice...it could be fine but unless u know 100% what's in it, you really don't know!