Unfortunate strand test result - advice welcome

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
FlaminNora
Unfortunate strand test result - advice welcome

First time henna virgin here.  Haven't yet henna-ed hair, but mixed up a batch today to do a strand test - froze the remainder of the batch.

Used a camomile tea/orange juice mix as I have a sensitive scalp and dry, rtaher frizzy hair.  Natural colour is auburn, but has faded to mid brown over the years.  Not much grey.   Bad reaction to chemical dyes - last chemical dye 1 month ago.

Colour on strand test has emerged, erm - ginger.  Dye release after four hours, left two hours on strand test. No other word for it but ginger.  Not at all like the wonderful colour transformations I've seen on various henna hair sites.   Much lighter than I anticipated.  Presumably due to previous chemical dye and the use of camomile tea.

I would welcome any suggestions for obtaining a darker, more red tone when using the frozen mix - would it help if I add lavender oil or tea tree oil to the mix on deforsting and before using? 

I'll leave current sample to oxidise over the next two or three days, but any suggestions would be most welcome.

FlaminNora
Re: Unfortunate strand test result - advice welcome

Wanted to add - used BAQ henna - Rajasthan/Sojat.

ACWN

Chamomile tea has nothing to do with the light color. So long as the mix is acidic, it will always come out the same shade. Stronger acidic liquids, like lemon, start out slightly darker and oxidize less. Less acidic mixes start out more orange and seem to oxidize drastically, but at the end of oxidation they always settle down into the same shade.

Okay. So, it sounds like you didnt test for dye release (which you ALWAYS need to do, NEVER assume). Dye release time for tea is 1 - 4 hours, for orange juice its 6 - 8 hours. If you added only a little juice and the henna was left at room temp, then 4 hours was probably about right.

2 hours is a very short amount of time for henna to be on and always results in a very bright, orangey color. If you want a darker red you need to leave it on closer to 4 hours. Remember to cover the sample well (ziplock bag with no air in it, in your pocket).

Lavender oil is not recommended. It wont help anything, color wise, and may inhibit dye uptake depending on how much you add. Not to mention it can leave you with a nasty headache.

FlaminNora

Thanks ACWN, that;s helpful too.

My mix was:

100g Sojat henna

around 200ml of chamomile tea made using 4 teabags and steeping until cool.

Four tablespoons orange juice.  Covered and left four hours at an average room temp of 65 degrees F

I tested for dye release after three hours and it was just starting to show. After 4 hours it was a dark brown in the bowl, and a bright orange on my palm, so thought I was good to go.  Covered the sample in henna, excluded air and wrapped in cling film.

Given your advice, I think I will leave it for 4 hours when I apply it and will leave out the essential oil I was thinking of using.

Thanks again.

ACWN

Ah, so you did test for dye release. Good! Sounds like you had good release too. Just dont go with the color of the paste as if you add certain things to it (like spices for smell), they can make the henna turn brown right off the bat. It was probably just not left on long enough or kept warm.

Remember that samples need to be kept body temp warm to mimic the heat it would get from your head. We always recommend covering the plastic wrap on your head with a beanie to keep it warm. Warmth helps with the dye uptake.

FlaminNora

Hmmm.  I must admit I didn't keep the strand test particularly warm.  Covered, yes, but not (thinking about it) as warm as your head would be when the colour is developing.

Very much appreciate the advice.  Will let you know how it goes over the next few days.

Iris

Oils won't really do much for the color.

It'll definitely oxide to a less bright color over the next couple of days! Also, by freezing your mix and then defrosting it later, you're increasing dye-release, which will help it toward a deeper, darker color anyway.

You might also want to leave it on for a bit longer than two hours when you do your all-over treatment.

Good luck!

FlaminNora

Thanks Iris.  Much appreciated.  I love the individual element henna brings to hair coluring.  Just wasn't expecting anything quite so.... ginger! Not my natural colouring at all   8-)

Hadn't realised frozen henner deepens the stain.  May leave it on actual hair for around 4 hours and see how that goes.  Definitely hasn't put me off. 

FlaminNora

Third day after strand test - the colour has definitely deepened and become less ginger and more of an auburn shade - more as I'd first envisaged it might look. 

In fact I found a stramd of hair my mother clipped when I was around 8, and yesterday the colour was not dissimilar to my natural colour back then.  Tonight it's subtley deeper.  It's like magic, isn't it?

OH is fed up of seeing me with my little hair strand "moustache" in my hands peering at it to see what colour it is now!  8-)

Looks like it's a "go" this weekend.

Thanks again for all the help (and reassurance!)

FlaminNora

Well, day four after henna strand test.  Strand test has now turned a fabulous rich auburn.  Not a hint of ginger.  Am absolutely delighted.  I should've had some faith!

ACWN

Dont worry, you arent the first to panic about the starting color of henna and you certainly wont be the last :) But now you can be one of the ones to reassure newbies that the color will settle down!

FlaminNora

I'll be delighted to!   8-)