Buxus vs Indigo/

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
sunny
Buxus vs Indigo/

i'm getting ready to order henna to dye my blonde hair a bit darker. i was checking out the blonde kits that include buxus/cassia/henna. has anyone experimented with substituting buxus for indigo instead? since they both have a similar color stain (maybe indigo a bit more blue-ish), i'm thinking it should probably work it if mixed correctly, but would strand test to get the right color.

the reason i thought to try indigo is because i am under the impression that the buxus stain is not permanent, only lasting a few weeks - is this correct? i know indigo lasts forever - been there and done that

can anyone tell me for how long a cassia stain lasts? and henna? are they both permanent?

thanks!

Jen
Re: Buxus vs Indigo/

Henna and cassia are permanent. Indigo is more permanent for more people than buxus. Buxus will fade after about a month, which is just about the same time you'd need to touch up your roots. 

I've been suggesting to people with henna, cassia, buxus mixes to do their upkeep in two steps. Henna and cassia on roots only followed by buxus on the entire length. This keeps from accumulating too much henna in the length and replaces faded buxus without too much extra effort.

The reason indigo isn't recommended for lighter mixes is because its just too strong most of the time. Indigo can easily overpower light colors. You could probably find the right ratio with time and strand testing... if you've got time and patience!

Carrie

Right, you would use less indigo than buxus to attain a similar level of darkness. My Flickr page might give you some more ideas about how buxus behaves vs indigo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39335752@N04/

sunny

excellent, thanks for the info! i believe i am going to experiment with the indigo to find the right shade and will post photos of the results and method