Black Henna in News...just as bad as the traditional henna?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shenna
Black Henna in News...just as bad as the traditional henna?

So the local news station did a special on black henna and how bad it is for you.  This is great except, the special and commercial were not very supportive of the traditional henna and grouped the two together.  Maybe I am misinterpreting what I read.  I know that henna is not approved for the skin but I feel like it was misleading when associated with black henna.

I am thinking about writing or calling in. Or am I blowing this out of proportion. 

http://www.wbaltv.com/health/24750732/detail.html

"Stephen King, an FDA representative in Baltimore, said PPD can cause a serious allergic reaction."It can cause some damage to the skin, either blistering and/or some type of scarring," King said.

King said the only approved use for PPD in cosmetics is in hair dye, and it's not approved for use on the skin. Neither is the more familiar red henna.

"With anything -- any kind of coloring or anything that you add to your skin or put on your skin -- it's important to make a wise consumer decision. Do some research prior to doing anything," King said.So, it's buyer beware."

CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: Black Henna in News...just as bad as the traditional henna?

Well, it is true that traditional henna is also not legal for use on skin.  Yet.

Here's the problems: not only is there "deathpaste" that's partially or entirely PPD, there's also "crappaste" that is "traditional"  with gasoline, kerosene, paint thinner, dry cleaning fluid, all manner of unlisted crap in it. That stuff doesn't harm you as fast, but its definitely dangerous.  Its also definitely traditional, as in "my mother and grandmother always mixed henna this way".

Until the FDA says "Here are the guidelines on how to mix henna safely, and only henna artists who mix it this way are going to be allowed to work legally" .... and that's going to cause severe screaming in many places ... he knows he's got to say, "henna is not legal for use on skin, and the buyer should beware."

Since there are henna slingers who lie through their teeth about what's in their henna, how the heck is a buyer to know? Since some have their henna shipped in from "insert homeland here" and the stuff is crappaste to begin with, how are they to know what they're putting on people?

The FDA man knows this stuff and he's slyly slipping his words through that rats' maze of henna legals ... until .... until .....