Whoo boy...what can I do about Raggedy Ann Yarn Hair red? Anything?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
megkrichards
Whoo boy...what can I do about Raggedy Ann Yarn Hair red? Anything?

Hi everyone..

Background, I am 37, and my natural red hair, has been fading rapidly in recent years, so that now, the only people who don't say I am "dirty blond" or are otherwise surprised if I refer to myself as a redhead, are those who knew me before it started going dull and pale.

I'm pregnant, and not about to use chemical dyes ever again... especially since I got allergies and all kinds of issues from them(wish I had know back then about henna!)

So I got some Punjabi Prime from Mehandi, and last night, used it with lemon juice, but left it in only an hour because my hair is pale and porous and takes color too fast. A strand test looked fine... I couldn't take into account how that tiny bit of color would magnify, on my whole head...

Anyway, I started out last night with "head on fire" shocking lava orange. Today it has darkened beautifully, into the most amazing, deep, fiery, glinting red... with unfortunate Raggedy Ann or Ronald McDonald hues.

Is there anything I can do to quiet it down a tad? It's stop-and-stare red. I only left it in for an hour before washing and rinsing, and it didn't even stain my scalp, so I can't imagine I overdid it, but would 30 minutes instead of an hour make a less intense shade, or would it just make the same shade, but less shiny and penetrating?

I love that I can be a redhead again, but someone tell me this fades... or that not applying heat next time will help... or that I can mix something that won't make it any darker, that will tone down the color a bit? I heistate to try indigo, because the last thing I need with my red eyebrows and freckles, is black hair.

ACWN
Re: Whoo boy...what can I do about Raggedy Ann Yarn Hair ...

Give it a few more days. Henna doesnt oxidize over night, it takes at least a week to settle into its true color. If by the end of the week you still arent happy with the color, you can try various things. You may want to strand test before hand.

1. You can reapply either a full strength application for another hour or less. This will add another layer of henna and will darken it down.

2. You can apply a henna gloss. 1 tablespoon of ready to go henna into a cup of conditioner - use as much conditioner thats needed to totally saturate your hair. So if you need 2 cups, its 2 tablespoons of henna. Mix them together then apply. Leave in for an hour and rinse. This will put in a little color.

3. You can order some buxus and apply that as a gloss. This will add a little more brown to your color. Please strand test though.

Typically most people have to apply henna for 2 hours or more to get any real significant color, so the only thing I can tell you is that you will have to play around with strand tests and times to see what works best for you personally.

Carrie

Here is what a buxus gloss looks like, and how to do it:

http://www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=view&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS[]=7971

and here is the same for an indigo gloss:

http://www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=view&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS[]=7004

I think one of those will get you to a color you can live with. As you can see, with BRIEF application of either one, you get a nice light golden to ash brown, not any darker than the red you started with. But it must be brief, or the color will get a lot darker very quickly.

For the future if you want reddish tones but not too intense or too dark, I'd suggest a cassia-based mix involving mostly cassia with just a little henna and buxus, or henna and indigo, in roughly equal amounts. Play with the proportions using hairball tests to see what it will take. Here is what 1 tsp of henna and buxus in a cassia mix looks like on my ash blonde hair - use more if you want deeper color:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39335752@N04/3787007269/in/set-72157623088472780/

By the way ... any future straight henna applications, even in gloss form, will give you bright orange hair all over again for a few days. That's just what henna does until it oxidizes. When you combine it with buxus or indigo you get to skip the flame orange phase :)

FlaminNora

Sympathies.... (hug)  BUT.  As other, far wiser heads have already said - give it a few days to oxidise.  I did a strand test on my (naturally red, but fading) hair .  I got uncompromising ginger.  I was horrified.  However, four days later, the strand has turned a beautiful bright auburn - a shade I can happily live with - and be proud of.  Might be the best thing just to see how yours goes after three to four days before doing anything more with it?

karenh

I also was a natural redhead who faded into a tired looking light dusty color. My hair is very porous and soaks up color like a sponge. I had the lava orange initially. I used buxus glosses to tone it down. Now I use henna amla glosses as my regular color treatment. for roots or whole head. My timing is usually quite short--10 minutes to no more than an hour and my glosses are none too strong--1 to 3 tablespoons of henna, 1 teaspoon of amla and a cup of conditioner or yoghurt. Although I have roots from my original full applications, they really don't look bad at all with glosses blending them in. I don't have to use buxux glosses to tone down the color anymore. With the glosses, my roots are much lighter but they do cover the gray which is about 5% of my hair. You can really get a lot of control over the depth of color using glosses--good for those of us with light colored and porous hair who don't want to go really dark. Plus glosses are easier and faster. I don't even dye release mine most of the time. Oh, I never use lemon juice--just a splash of orange juice and water because my hair is dry and porous.

ACWN

Just want to point out that since the point of a gloss is to only add a little color at a time, 3 tablespoons is actually a stronger gloss (at least so far that I understand it) and that most people dont use any more than 3. I know theres at least one gal in our forum that uses around 4 or 5 tablespoons in her gloss, but she is also covering gray hair.

A single tablespoon is a good starting place for adding just a little color to perk up your color or if you're nervous about going full strength. It would also be a good tool for evening out color and give you tons of control.

Meg - Since it sounds like you have similar hair to karen, I'd say its probably a good idea to follow her method, at least as far as amount and time goes. The not waiting for dye release thing concerns me a little. It clearly works for her, but I wouldnt suggest it unless she were to pop back in and give a more detailed explanation of that method for us.