Baking soda and apple cider vinegar, helpful or harmful?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
skookyboots
Baking soda and apple cider vinegar, helpful or harmful?

Hi,

My hair has never been dyed before and my natural color is very dark brown and my hair is naturally curly. I've read the Henna E-Book and I am very excited about dying my hair with Henna. I plan on dying my hair with Henna and then Indigo to achieve black hair. 

My current hair regimen: Dr. Bronner's soaps for washing and Dr. Bronner's Hair Rinse for condition. These products are fabulous and actually allow my hair to curl naturally with no frizz and no products needed (I've completely come away from products with chemicals, sulfates and silicones). When I'm out of Hair Rinse I condition with Apple Cider vinegar diluted in water, sprayed in my hair, combed through and washed out after shampooing with Bronner's soap. I also have well water that is treated with a water softener system and sometimes it has to be reset, so when I feel I have mineral build up I strip my hair with baking soda and balance the PH with apple cider vinegar. 

Does anyone else have a similar hair regimen? How will apple cider vinegar and baking soda affect my hair once it's been dyed with Henna and Indigo? Should I strip my hair with baking soda before dying it?

mauhall
Re: Baking soda and apple cider vinegar, helpful or harmful?

In my experience, baking soda works great to remove product buildup from hair... i.e... hairspray, gels, even silicones, but is not effective in removing mineral build up.  That usually requires an asorbic acid, and or chelating agent... i.e... edta found in most clarifying shampoos.

I have not tried the ACV, but hear that people recommend it after henna to help seal the cuticle.  You should not have any problems continuing to use both of these after you henna, but I'd avoid using the baking soda for a few washes after doing the indigo.

skookyboots

Thank You so much for your help!

I know someone who uses citric acid to strip iron from their hair, they have a water softener system as well but I wasn't sure if it would be to potent because it's concentrated. I've never heard of asorbic acid being used but I can look into it. I definitely want to stay away from the chemicals in shampoos, but again, I really appreciate your advice! 

I was reading someone else's post where they spoke of dying their hair with indigo twice in a row to prevent fading....I think I'll do that and lay off the baking soda!

Carrie

The person who was using indigo twice in a row (the one who posted earlier this week) was not using the same indigo most of us are using - it was something she got in Europe I believe. Normally that isn't necessary or advisable, indigo can be drying if you leave it on a long time or repeatedly in a short period of time.

skookyboots

Ahhhh, Okay. Well I'm definitely getting my Henna and Indigo from Mehandi. And I'm using the E-Book instructions...mixing the Henna with lemon juice, letting sit for twelve hours, applying for 4 hours, wash/dry and then mixing and applying the indigo. Is a test strand of hair really very necessary when going for black hair? I wasn't going to bother because I'm going darker.

skookyboots

Oh, and does anyone know the effects of absorbic acid or citric acid (used for stripping minerals from hair) on Hennaed hair??

ladytetsu

I henna and I ACV rinse after every shampoo now.  It does nothing to the color, diluted.  Too strong and you itch and dry out, but your color is still fine.

skookyboots

Hey,

Thanks!

Carrie

I've used a diluted citric acid rinse after shampooing hennaed hair, it doesn't affect color.

Strand testing is helpful if your first 5 tests fail, like they did for the lady who ended up using her indigo twice in a row :)