And you thought you knew Yemen?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
CCartwrightJones
admin
And you thought you knew Yemen?

Heads up, anyone who thought that brand name or country source was meaningful in henna.  I hope people have gotten the message that what comes from a specific seller may have totally unpredictable dye content, and if the importer isn't testing, the consumer has no idea what they're buying.

I just got in a ton of Yemen, from my favorite and most reliable supplier, and the lab assay came back as 1.67% lawsone instead of the usual high dye content.  Yes, we'll market it as 1.67%, and be honest about it, but if you're buying from someone who doesn't test ... you might want to ask if they have any clue about what they've got.  May have been a crap crop.

Country doesn't matter.  The supplier doesn't matter.  The only thing that matters to your roots is independent laboratory testing showing lawsone content ... and that's driven by weather and batch, which changes from one day to the next and one season to the next.

On the other hand, my wish for a ton of light, sweet red landed!  We'll have another year of something nearly identical to Punjabi Prime!  It'll be up as soon as we get it into process. We still have some old stock, finishing it off now.

In the meantime ... if you've got roots to cover, use Celebration at 3.4% lawsone!

earthymamawitch
Re: And you thought you knew Yemen?

Hey Catherine, is the new henna going to be labeled Punjabi Prime also, or have you guys come up with a new, catchy name? :)

Jenn

CCartwrightJones
admin

It will probably be Yemen Light.  Or something like that, because the Hadramaut is not in the Punjab.  The dye content is very close to Punjabi Prime .... so that should make a lot of people very happy, because we've nearly run out of that batch and people just loved it .....

earthymamawitch

Yemen Light... hmmmm... besides the perecentage of dye content, have you tested it on hair - does it have the same rosy, cool red tone that people so love about PP?

Jenn

Twizzle

Hi Catherine:

I am new to the henna experience. Following a neurotoxic reaction to chemical hair dye, I am transitioning to safer choices. While the chemical hair is growing out, I have been using cassia only to blend in the abundant grey hairs I have. My goal is to try a hendigo gloss when most of the colored hair has been cut off but am unsure what type of henna to use. I have read people are getting very pleasing results using a method that does not involve any dye release. My objective is to avoid orange and bright reds. I am aiming for light brown or golden brown tones. Can you suggest something. Is there any information that compairs Yemen, Jamila, Celebration and any other commonly prefered types of henna? I have a short hair style so anticipate beign back to virgin hair in about 5 months. It has been 4 months since I have used a commercial dye but am afraid of a potentially nasty outcome if I try anything over the treated hair.

Many thanks,

Twizzle

CCartwrightJones
admin

You'll probably get helpful advice here very quickly, and you can also call 330-673-0600 and our help desk will step you through every bit of this. We've helped many people with exactly your problem!  If the line is busy or its after hours, leave your name and number and we'll call you.

Carrie

You can use pure plant dyes over your chemically treated hair without reactions; many if not most people here have done that! 

For a light brown color, adding small amounts of henna and indigo powder directly to conditioner (a "hendigo gloss") is one easy method  - see the discussion in this thread from the old forum:

http://www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=view&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS[]=3530

Here are the basics:

1 teaspoon henna
1 teaspoon indigo
mixed them dry
added conditioner (about 100 mls or so)
put it in clean, dry hair and let it sit for 30 mins
rinsed it out with water

Some people prefer the color they get if they let the henna/indigo/conditioner mix sit for an hour before applying to the hair.

Danmara

OMG- I LOVE PP henna, so I'm actually happy to hear this!!!!!!! But sorry to hear you got a "bad" crop. :( Blessing in disguise!

CCartwrightJones
admin

If you LOVE PP and can't bear to change, stock up .... inventory looks like the last packet will be gone by Christmas.

lbug13

Oh no, and I love the Yemen. I have been refusing to even try anything else. Guess that's going to change- I have lots of white hairs to cover. I will definitely need a higher dye content. Is the Celebration available in the Empire Store? I don't recall seeing it there.

CCartwrightJones
admin

I'm pretty sure we have Celebration over there ... I asked them to do so.  Call and make sure!