jamila henna test on medium brown hair - too orange?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
meuh
jamila henna test on medium brown hair - too orange?

Hi,

I have never henna'ed before, so I just did a test of some jamila henna + orange juice on hair from my hairbrush.  Here is a picture of my hair next to the henna'ed hair after twelve hours:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/1133/hairhenna.jpg

My natural hair is medium brown with some coppery highlights in the summer (with some white- yes, snow white! hair), and I had hoped to bring my hair to be something redder using the henna, but it looks too orangey to me.  What is the best hopes for me acheiveing a richer redder color:  leaving henna in longer, or mixing with indigo, or doing henna first, then indigo?  I don't mind getting a darker shade with indigo, i actually prefer deep reds and burgundy colors, so long as I can stay away from the ghastly orange look.

Any advice is welcome!

Jen
Re: jamila henna test on medium brown hair - too orange?

Doing henna first, then indigo will get you black!

Give it a week before you decide if you like the color. The orange will continue to settle out of it for a while while it oxidizes. If you're still not happy, then try a strand test with a little bit of  indigo and see how you feel about that. 

CCartwrightJones
admin

Yes, give it some time to oxidize.  The other problem with Jamila is that you really don't know what the lawsone content might be unless the person selling it has sent it in for lab testing.  Some henna from Jamila has great dye content and some has very poor dye content.  Its an agricultural product so variation is inevitable ....

xyz

As the previous posters said, give it some time.  The weird orange glow mellows as time goes.  Mixes with lemon continue to darken for a long while, so perhaps your OJ mix will take a few extra days to settle into its final color.  But say you still hate the color in 1-2 weeks...here are some options to consider for your next strand or hairball tests:

• reapply the same kind of henna you used this time--as you layer one henna over another, the color deepens.  It'll eventually reach the saturation point, which is a deep burgundy red
  • OR try a very high dye-content henna (Celebration or Purity, for example), leaving it on 4-5 hours
  • OR try a mix of 90% henna and 10% indigo in a one-step process (hendigo), which has been reported to darken the shade of red without "browning" it much
meuh

Thank you guys.  The strand test did start to mature into something interesting, so I just said, hey, take a chance!  And I mixed up a batch, let it sit twelve hours, left it on six hours and when I took it off...

Tahdah! 

That's at just about six hours old.  Slightly orange, but I know it will settle.  AAAAAAND it's so pretty anyway who cares?!  :D

I missed a spot on my temples, but it's not horrible, and can be fixed.  Or used as an excuse to do it again! :P

Moneybox (not verified)

I LOVE IT !

meuh

And outside, without flash, but cloudy today:

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2981/redhaar13hnuages.jpg

:D    :D    :D

xyz

You are very brave, doing your whole head despite hating the strand test!  It looks good.  Congratulations!

Moneybox (not verified)

I've only ever used Jamila, although I might try another make from Hennaboy in the future. Yes it's vibrant, however, one thing I can say is that I'm always complimented on my hair when it's hennaed.

I think you just have to learn to love whatever colour the Henna gives you. It's either that or poison. Although I'd be open to adding a few very fine blondish highlights IF I want to tone it down.

My piccys below show my Jamila on bleached hair and white/gray roots. Good luck.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32567693@N08/